Thursday, March 18, 2010

Wearing the Green

Contrary to what you might guess, I'm not nursing a post-Saint Patrick's Day hangover. Nope, I'm talking about the first outdoor ride of the season, which was this afternoon. It was the perfect way to celebrate the coming spring and the saint's day, by enjoying myself outside after a snowy winter.

I waited until around three o'clock to leave, as I wanted it to be as warm as possible for the ride. If there's one thing I hate, it's riding alone when it's cold. Surprisingly, my tires still had some pressure in them, too. I guess those tubes I installed in the last few weeks of last season are doing their job.

Good Things About the Ride:
-The weather was nice, around 60 degrees; and the sun was out.
-Most of the snow and melt water is gone, so I didn't come home wet and smelling like dog-s***.
-I didn't go very far or very fast. It was nice to just enjoy being outside again.
-No malicious incidents or gestures with automobiles; although I think the Squirrel Mafia is still out to get me.
-I wore one of my favorite jerseys: Green with "IRELAND" emblazoned on the front, back, and sleeves.
-I'm not fat, really. I didn't gain too much weight (a few pounds?) over the winter and my sister even commented that I've lost some more weight since Christmas.
-I didn't really sweat, which is a good thing, as I had to leave for a dinner appointment pretty quick after I got home.
-I actually got out there and did it, which is hard in the spring.


Annoying Things About the Ride:
-There's still sand and road debris everywhere. I'm surprised I didn't flat from all that glass.
-I felt like I was coughing up a lung. I hate that! It interferes with breathing.
-While I'm not fat, I am slow. Ah, the annual spring rite of passage: Pounding myself back into shape.
-One bad snot-rocket aim got it all over my jersey, yuck!


Until next time, ride long and keep the rubber-side down.

No comments:

Post a Comment