Friday, August 27, 2010

Steady Things in Life

I'm feeling melancholy today. You've been warned.

I've tried to keep my life outside of cycling and athletics out of this blog. But, alas, real life always comes a callin'. They say there are only two certain things in life: Death and taxes. I think I'll add a third: Riding my bicycle.

Let me explain a bit. I've been riding a bike in some form or another for over three quarters of my life. I've always been athletic and have usually been happiest while being active. Hence, my choice of coursework in college and the jobs I've had since I recieved my degree have all revolved around recreation, athletics, and/or bicycling in one form or another. The problem is work has been spotty at best and non-existent at the worst since I finished school. Riding my blue bicycle these past few years has been a way for me to always have something, other than my family and friends, that I can count on.

I could be having the worst day possible (and yesterday was), and be able to throw my leg over the frame and pedal away. If I choose a route I know very well, I don't have to think much, the bike just knows where to go. It's wonderfully freeing and it's a safe place to go.

Ah, well. As Miss O'Hara once said, "Tomorrow's another day".

Until next time, ride long and keep the rubber-side down.

No comments:

Post a Comment